CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Things we are learning.......

As always, we are learning...how to do new things, how to treat people, how to obey, what things in culture mean and on and on and on. These are just a few I have wanted to remember lately.

Let me preface this by saying, we are not shoppers. Well, at least I'm not. I have never really enjoyed it and I just haven't ventured out much with you, girls. I like to go in a store, get what I need and leave. Strange for a woman, I know...but that is me. Caitlyn, you, however are showing true signs that you will be a little fashion bug. You LOVE clothes. You love dressing up, making your own special outfits out of household items, and you are getting very particular about what you wear.
Anyway, we went into Old Navy for me to look for a dress. The two of you were in awe at all the clothes. I think you walked around with your mouths dropped open a lot of the time! When we were about to leave, you noticed the mannequins at the front of the store and said, "Mommy, are those people?" pause.."I mean did somebody kill them and use their bodies?!" I just had to laugh...I love the way your minds think.
Later that night you were telling Daddy about our experience and said.."Mommy got such a pretty dress at Old Maid!" Now that would be an interesting store!!!


You two are also learning more about what Daddy does. You so enjoy hanging out with him on my half days of work. He often will let you do something at one of his flip houses. Some days you get to demolish walls, some days you get to sweep or wash windows. On this day, he let you each paint. You loved it.

Daddy thinks he is training his future employees!!!


I always love to talk to you about what you are learning in church. Your teachers send you home with cards for mommy and daddy to discuss further what you are learning in class and children's worship. It is such a good tool to help us communicate with you about what we believe and to let you ask questions. At this point, it is us talking more than you, but I pray you will be girls that question things and want to discuss issues surrounding spirituality.
Caitlyn, you have gotten very interested in searching for scriptures. We will give you a verse and you scan the index for the book and page number and then see how quickly you can find the chapter and verse. It makes my heart glad to see your interest being peaked. You are also getting excited about memorizing verses. I love knowing the word is being hidden in your heart already.

My sweet Caroline, you are working so diligently to learn how to tie your shoes. We have a neat book that guides you....since most all our shoes are velcro or buckles. You have gotten frustrated many times, but you keep at it. I am so proud of you!



Finally, we are learning about compassion. Oh, this has been a hard one!!! When I think about the characteristics I want you to possess as you get older, this one is at the top of the list. We have gotten to experience several situations this summer with other little girls that have spurred us to really talk about treating others the way we want to be treated. It is still so hard for even mommy and daddy to do this, girls. But it is a goal we MUST strive for. Sure, to make others feel special, but more than that because WE have been shown SUCH compassion from God. The older you get, the more I know you will come to understand this truth and I pray HE continues to give us life lessons to help us practice this wonderful quality.

Lord, help us be more like Jesus in the way we treat others. Help us to have compassionate and understanding hearts when we meet people that are not like us or that are a challenge to be around. YOU never put anyone in our path that we can't love and learn from. Help Daniel and I to model this in our own lives, so the girls have a living example. Thank you for your infinite compassion and grace poured out to us every day.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Great Post, Mary Ann! I may have to look for the shoe-tying book... Ethan is not interested in learning to tie his shoes, but he's about to start Kindergarten and we're gonna have to push him a little! :)

Deborah said...

What precious last words at the end of this post, Maryann. I have no doubt, that if your girls pay attention to their mommy like I think they do, they will have NO trouble learning what compasiion is all about. You exude compassion!

p.s. I love the "Old Maid" store too!

Christy said...

AMEN!! You are such a compassionate person. Your girls have to learn some by osmosis:) I love you friender