CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Training up..........

It has been a hard few weeks. We go through this in cycles and I know it will repeat itself over and over, but I have to admit, I don't look forward to these testing stages with you, girls. I have felt myself feeling continually frustrated (more at myself than anything) and discouraged. I know it is all normal and a part of you testing boundaries and growing up...learning how to express yourself and what respect is all about.....understanding self-control and kindness, selflessness and sharing, and right from wrong.


Discipline........the part of parenting I never gave enough thought to before I had my bundles of joy! Discipline........the part of parenting that takes so much energy, consistency, patience and time. Discipline......the part of parenting that I feel at such a loss at how to do....and MUST look to MY Heavenly Father who disciplines me with SUCH tender love and grace.



As I continued to feel the weight of burden about this over the week, I knew I had to carve out some time to sit with my thoughts and feelings and listen to God. I wish this was something I chose to do immediately, rather than after days or sometimes weeks of an uneasy spirit. Despite my delay in coming to HIM, he always blesses me with such hope. I wanted to spend some time sharing what His Holy Spirit shared with me, as a reminder to both you and I, to REST in HIS CONTROL.



Ultimately that is my problem......control. I feel like it is completely up to me to teach you... to help shape you and oh, when I am reminded it is NOT up to me, it is a mix of relief and guilt. The first part of Hebrews 12 talks about discipline. I have read this chapter many times before, but the verse that jumped out at me was verse 10... "Our fathers (mothers) disciplined us for a little while as they thought best, but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in HIS holiness."

What this said to me was that....YOU are a GIFT to us from the one true God and HE IS AT WORK in your life even more than I am. You are just given to us on loan, and for just a short time. As your momma and daddy, we are doing the best we know how with what we know. We fail so often... and that is where Satan gets to us...He longs for us to dwell on those times and feel guilty. What I cling to though, is not my feelings, it is the TRUTH...which IS... GOD knows what discipline you will need throughout your life to make you HOLY!! I trust HIM to use me and I trust HIM to use many other tools in your life. I must lay down this weight and rest in HIS KNOWLEDGE.

I need you to know one more thing. You often ask, "Do you still love me?" after mommy or daddy has disciplined you. I hope you never doubt that....we will tell you this over and over until it becomes truth to you. We discipline BECAUSE we love you...just as our Heavenly Father does in our lives. HE says so in Proverbs 3 : 12..."...the Lord disciplines those He loves and he punishes everyone he accepts as sons (daughters)." Why does HE do this? Why do mommy and daddy discipline? In order to produce "a harvest of righteouseness and peace for those who have been trained by it"!!! (Hebrews 12 :11)

I pray when you will read this one day, you will remember how much we love you and even be thankful for these training days........and I pray that your life will be filled with much righteouseness and peace!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Boy, did I need to read that. Thank you!

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing. I don't know a single parent that wouldn't benefit from reading this encouragement.